Chicken wings… a classic North American staple which can be found in almost every Edmonton pub and bar. As a new vegan I still sometimes get a craving every now and then to indulge in the finer delicacy of a chicken wing, but alas, plant-based alternatives are few and far. Local Edmonton hotspots like The Buckingham on Whyte Avenue offer amazing plant-based options including, killer soy drumsticks, but with the worldwide pandemic that we all have found ourselves in, I decided to go on a hunt for the best plant-based chicken wing alternative in town.
While shopping at Orii, a plant-based grocery store in Edmonton, I came across Happy Veggie World’s “Famous Vegan Drumsticks”. They were available in 300g packages or for the true drumstick lovers, 3kg bulk bags. They’re so cute! Soy drumsticks wrapped in bean curd film and finished off with a wooden handle to hold onto for when you dip!
Finding plant-based glazes can sometimes be hard, which is why I took it upon myself to find some already amazing blog-created wing sauces.
The first recipe that I found came from one of my personal favorite plant-based blogs “The Hidden Veggies.” As the blog creator, Monica, states “This vegan honey mustard dipping sauce is a sweet and tangy way to add flavor.” If you are interested in trying this recipe, check out the instructions below which came straight from The Hidden Veggies blog:
• 1/4 cup yellow mustard
• 2 tbsp Bee Free Honee or agave nectar
• 1/8 tsp salt
• 1/8 tsp garlic powder
1. Put 1/4 cup of yellow mustard into a small bowl.
2. Add vegan Bee Free Honee or agave nectar to the mustard.
3. Stir until smooth.
4. Add a dash of salt and garlic powder for extra flavor. (optional)
If you’re like me and love a bit of spice to your wing, this next recipe by the blog “The Edgy Veg” is the go-to sauce for you! There is no better way to put it than The Edgy Veg does: “Sure, you can buy it, it’s easier that way, but bought sauces are so full of garbage, it’s not even funny. Let’s get serious, why on earth would you buy something that is so easy to make at home?” If this recipe is singing to your taste buds, check out how to make it in your home below:
• ⅔ cup hot pepper sauce
• ½ cup cold vegan butter or refined coconut oil
• 1½ tablespoons white vinegar
• 1 tbsp paprika
• ¼ tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
• ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
• ⅛ tsp garlic powder
• salt to taste
1. Place the hot sauce, vegan butter or oil, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and salt in a blender and mix until smooth.
2. Pour into a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a boil while constantly stirring with a whisk.
3. As soon as the liquid begins to bubble on the sides of the pot, remove from heat, and set aside.
4. Use right away with seitan wings, cauliflower, or use as a dip.